Friday 19 February 2016

Field Trip to Falmer Village

So after a lot of theory in the last few weeks, we actually went on a little field trip to Falmer Village today, to practice our skills and try and work with the theory on composition, aperture, depth of field, etc... that we looked at in the last few classes.
I was really happy that we got the opportunity to use our theoretical knowledge to take photographs because it helped me to pay attention to things that I've never even considered before I started this course.
As we learned a lot about depth of field and the rules of composition lately, I tried to apply this theory to my photographs and so the pictures below, are a small selection of shots that I took today.
Some of them may not be super spectacular, but that was not really the point of this exercise I think. In my opinion the point was, again to get a better feeling for the camera and explore and work with the different settings and opportunities that you have, in relation to composition, aperture and depth of field.


So in these first shots, I tried to apply the rules of composition, but I found it pretty hard to imagine the grid and the lines to find a good center of interest.

Nevertheless, I think that especially this first shot with the bench, didn't turn out too bad. I wanted to put the focus on the bench so I tried to divide the picture in my head to find the perfect position for the bench. I also tried to take the same picture, but having the bench right in the middle to show the difference, but unfortunately the picture turned out to be a bit blurry so I'm not going to upload it.




In this second picture I also tried to work with the rules of composition, but I'm not really satisfied with the result. I wanted to have the tree as central element in this picture, but I feel like I haven't really found the center of interest and thus put the tree too much in the middle of the picture.






After that, as in the previous week, I tried experimenting with different F numbers again to work with the depth of field. As you will notice most of these pictures are taken with a quite large aperture, because I just really enjoy shooting with a low depth of field, because I feel like it makes you look at things with much more detail and for me this always feels like getting a completely new and more intensive feeling for the world around me.



















Finally, I just took some random shots as I was walking around. 
Some of these pictures may include depth of field or relate to the rules of composition, but if so then it is completely unintentional, because these shots were literally shot without paying special attention to the aperture or looking for a center of interest.








Contact Sheet




No comments:

Post a Comment