Wednesday 27 April 2016

Project: Name, Titles and Meaning

During the whole process of developing my project idea, thinking about the different pictures and finally shooting the scenarios, I constantly had this one crucial question in my head: How am I going to call this project? 
I put so much work and effort into this project during the last few weeks, that I wanted it to have an extraordinary name, that sums up the topic in one or two words, yet leaves some questions open. 
I thought about calling it 'Generation Z', as I am fascinated by the term, but in the end, it wouldn't make a lot of sense regarding the fact that what I want to show in my project doesn't only refer to the generation Z but also to other generations. 
So I went back to the very beginning when I presented my project idea in class and I reread a quote that I used as inspiration for my project and had completely forgotten about afterwards : 'The difference between technology and slavery is that slaves are fully aware that they are not free.' (Nassim Nicholas Taleb) 
And I think you couldn't say it much better! We've literally become slaves, that don't control their actions anymore, because they are forced to stare at the screen of their phones. 
That's how the name SCREEN SLAVES came into my mind. Of course it still might not be the most original name ever, as I already heard people referring to the friend sitting next to them on their phone as 'screen slave', but nevertheless I feel like it is a name that totally matches the pictures and their message. 


Moreover, I just quickly want to explain the different titles of each of my shots. They may seem a bit odd when first seeing them, because they are so random. But that is exactly the purpose of these titles. Calling the images 'family', 'love' or 'gardening' is another way to show how much we depend on our phones. Random, daily situations or relationships, that 10 years ago we would've never associated to phones have become unthinkable without the little device in our hands, and thus these names just reflect the everyday that is constantly controlled by our hyper-connectivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment